Re: Does debhelper handle build-indep ?

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:22:15AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> >Does the policy requires this ? (I read it but it was unclear (to me:))
>
> Yes, in section 5.2 (`debian/rules' - the main building script):
>
>   `binary-arch' builds the binary packages which are specific to a
>   particular architecture, and `binary-indep' builds those which are
>   not.

Thanks for pointing me to /usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/rules.multi

What is the purpose of binary-indep? The way I set up the Makefile
(like in example/rules.multi) when I do a debian/rules binary-indep(or arch),
the build target is made and the whole package is compiled, so there is no big
won to use binary-indep(or arch)). Should I add a build-indep and a build-arch?
If it save time to autobuilders, I will do it. However I check out some
packages with -doc, and they don't happen to do it.

Bill. (please CC:)