file move between versions

Suppose version 1 of the package had a file named /foo/A,
and version 2 had changed the location to be /bar/A.

Without doing anything special on the part of the developer, is it
always true that upgrading the package version 1->2 will remove /foo/A
before installing /bar/A?

If so, has there ever been a bug (in dpkg/apt/whatever) that
broke this?

I ask because I have suddenly discovered /usr/bin/gvx (dated from
march 2000) which is the old location for /usr/lib/geomview/gvx.  I
changed the location when I adopted the package last fall.  I'm
wondering if I now need to add a "rm -f /usr/bin/gvx" in the postinst.

Regards,
-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,