Re: My First Package. Wheee.

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 12:56:49PM -0500, Michael Janssen (CS/MATH stud.) wrote:
> In Warren Anthony Stramiello's email, 10-05-2001:
> >
> > It's XDrawChem, a linux version of ChemDraw, a fairly necessary app for
> > chemistry folks (at least so my girlfriend tells me, and she's a chemistry
> > major here at Tech).

Congratulations!  If only it had been around when I was writing my thesis.. ;)

> > I read through the docs and such (NMU docs, packaging-manual, and so
> > forth), and I was wondering how I should handle:
> >
> > a) inclusion in the testing distribution, if still possible
> > b) inclusion in the unstable distribution, if still possible

To give a bit more detail from Tog's reply:  you upload to unstable (this
means you need to be running unstable yourself, unless you know how to do
one of those chroot thingies).  After a standard period of time (10 days for
normal packages I think), the package gets copied (symlink) to testing if
the following conditions are met:
    - binaries are available for main architectures (i386, alpha, sparc, but
the others are lagging behind, so they won't hold up the package from testing)
    - no serious errors (normal errors don't hold it up)
    - the packages it depends on are also in testing

The third one can be the tricky one to follow, since there might
dependencies on dependencies and they have to be fulfilled all the way down.

> > c) uploading using dupload and scp

I think someone mentioned the New Maintainer's guide.  Section 6.3
(I copy and paste from there, hence I don't know about dput either ;) )

> Ohh.. cool - I've been looking for a software program to do something
> like this for a while for our labs..

If you need 3-D modelling, I've recently uploaded viewmol (lets you edit new
molecules as well as view them).  And something else was uploaded even more
recently still (I forget the name).  Chemistry in Debian is having it's
day... ;)  Section Science was recently opened on the Debian website (it had
been forgotten), maybe that's attracting all these chem packages?

Regards,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A