lame (again!)

Hi all,

I would like clarify the reason for lame not being included in the debian
archives, not even non-US.

Firstly, the lame license is LGPL as of version 3.88.

The psycho-acoustic model used in LAME is also GPLed (or LGPLed). I believe
its not the same as the one patented by the Fraunhofer Institute. I could
be wrong here, and correct me. This is what I understand from the lame
homepage and changelogs.

I don't see any restriction on lame being allowed to be distributed only
in binary form, because of the LGPL license.

As of version 3.81beta, all ISO code was removed.

lame has already been debianised, and the debian/ subirectory for making
the deb is included with the distribution now. However, this is immaterial,
if it can't be packaged and made available through the official archives.

So, what restricts us from making lame available ?
Please cc me replies, as I don't read debian-legal.
Thanks again, for allowing a rehash of an old thread.

viral

--
"Live for today, gone tomorrow, that's me, HaHaHaaaaaa!"