Re: dh_testroot ?

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> > Now it's just an annoyance. Only the binary target needs root access.
>
> Not quite. The clean target still should run as root unless you're building
> with fakeroot. For a variety of reasons, many people (and autobuilders
> too, I think) don't use fakeroot all the time.

Could dh_clean be extended to trap not-allowed-to-remove errors and
issue a helpful message similar to dh_testroot? Then dh_testroot could
be removed from the clean target, and it would just work for the most
common cases, and give good diagnostic for common mistakes.

Us lazy people would like to save 9 letters on the clean call, and of
course we're far too far in sloth as to
  alias dcln='fakeroot debian/rules clean'

--
Robbe