Re: Advice needed on changing upstream source.

Thanks to all those who replied.  The problem with the upstream number
numbering scheme is this.  Let's say they have a release 0.85.  They
publish it as webmin-0.85.tar.gz Then later on they update one of those
modules.  They will put it out seperately as some_module-0.85.1.tar.gz .
So far so good.  But they will also include the updated module in
webmin-0.85.tar.gz i.e the webmin-0.85.tar.gz you get one day may not be
the same as the one you get the next.

One suggestion was to use my own version number scheme possibly using the
date.  While this would work, no other webmin package or documentaion uses
such a scheme.  The potential for confusion is too great especially as
this is a newbie-oriented package.

So far now, I'm going to follow Shaleh's suggestion and make the updates
part of the debianized source only, then for the long-term, I'm going to
perster upstream to use a more sane versioning scheme.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>