developping of deb and clean dpkg database

During the development of a new deb package, my dpkg database is going
to increase its dirty-level.
Packages that are being developped got installed and deinstalled, change
names, change sections and so on...
The result ? My dpkg database contains info about many packages that
does not exists or that does not belong to the right section.

Is there a clean way to remove info related to some packages ?
Currently my solution is to manually edit /var/lib/dpkg/* files, but I
wonder about the existence of some cleaner way to do it.

TIA

--
	- Zack -

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.students.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
Undergraduate Student of Computer Science at University of Bologna, Italy
SysAdm of verdicchio.students.cs.unibo.it (130.136.3.134)
	"Information wants to be Open"