Re: Different distributions and package versions

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 12:32:31PM +0200, Ryszard Lach wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 01:43:42AM -0800, Mike Markley wrote:
> > Compiling it for testing's generally useless... you'll just want to built it
> > on unstable, then in a stable chroot, or vice-versa and let the normal
> > testing process handle that part of it. See the list archives (I believe it
> > was on -devel, but -mentors has had several posts about it) for info on
> > setting up a chroot...
>
> I don't want to compile for testing, but to have working package in stable and
> testing distributions.

Ryszard,

If I understand your question right, you want to have binary packages
for two different distributions for your local use? As for uploading
to debian incoming, you only need to upload the binary and source
package for one distribution (preferably unstable).

You can get two working binary packages for two different
distributions using the following simple rules.

(a) If you have an unstable distribution (or a chrooted unstable
environment), build your package there.

(b) Then use the source package from above, and build the same in a
stable distribution (or a chrooted stable environment).

Or obviouly, vice versa with a & b above. The above should work in
most cases, except when a library that is required is available in one
distribution, but is either obsolete or not available for the other
distribution.

I typically have two separate local apt repositories for my own use
for both stable and unstable dists.

>Both (binary) packages should have the same version then ?

Yeah they can have the same version, but be very careful in specifying
your apt repositories in your sources file

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer