Re: libdb-dev - I don't get it!

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 03:07:45PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> Now, with db3, I want to be sure that everyone realizes that they are
> compiling against libdb3, since the binary on-disk format of the .db's
> is different. So, you have to explicitly tell your builds that you want
> -ldb3, so there is no cause for surprises.

OK, that sounds fair enough.

> Note, you may want to be sure that upgrades from you db2 compile to db3
> support will not cause anything to break. The libdb3-util package comes
> with a db3_upgrade program which will upgrade existing db2 databases in
> place. Or you can read db3-doc and find the db_upgrade function where
> this can be done automatically in your program.

I'll think I'll try sticking with db2 for the time being in that case.

The funny thing is, I'm not even sure if viewmol actually uses libdb.  -ldb
just happens to be sitting there in the makefile.  I can't find any "db_*"
entries in the source.  Is there any more sophisticated manner of checking
actual usage of a library than removing -ldb from the makefile and seeing
what breaks?

And could anyone tell me which command displays the functions contained in a
library?  I know there's something, but I can't remember it.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A