Editing conffiles?

I'm trying to find a fix for bug #90673:

Proftp'd postinst contains at least one thing that modifies
/etc/proftpd.conf:

   echo "Editing /etc/proftpd.conf ... "
   sed "s/^## //" /etc/proftpd.conf > /etc/proftpd.conf.dpkg-tmp
   mv /etc/proftpd.conf.dpkg-tmp /etc/proftpd.conf

Would it be sufficient to check the md5sum of the configuration file
first, and only edit it if it matches the one I'm distributing?  Or do
I really have to point the user at a set of example configuration
files in /usr/share/doc?

TIA,

	Ivo

--
You are just jealous because the little voices are talking to me.