Re: PHP library policies...

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 06:06:52PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:00:46PM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> > > I was wondering if there was a standard policy regarding libraries of
> > > php routines; those dependent upon a given version of php and those
> > > independent.  Where do I place the files in a library package for
> > > php4:
> > >         /usr/{share|lib}/<package>
> > >         /usr/{share|lib}/php<version>/<package>
>
> > No one wanted to comment on this?
>
> Well unlike with perl and python, most of the php extensions that are widely
> used are included in PHP -- so they all have the same maintainer.  There may
> not be a policy, or at least not a published one; and even if there is,
> probably not many people know about it. :)
>
> As with all packages, /usr/lib is used for architecture-specific files (e.g.,
> binary php extensions) and /usr/share is for architecture-independent files
> (e.g., PHP class files).  You might want to look at the directory structure
> for some of the other PHP modules (e.g., php4-mysql, php4-pear) to see what
> directories they use.

THANK YOU!  Constructive advice!!  Always welcome. ;-)  Let me clear
up an assumption about PHP then that you seem to be making.  There are
no incompatibilities between PHP scripts written with PHP3 as opposed
to PHP4?  Aren't there _some_ incompatibilities between the two,
advancements and extensions in PHP4 that weren't in 3?

Granted, we can handle dependencies at the package level, but should
we use a versioning directory structure similar to that used for Perl
and Python?

I'll take a look at your suggested packages tomorrow.  Time for sleep. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD