Re: PHP library policies...

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:00:46PM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was a standard policy regarding libraries of
> > php routines; those dependent upon a given version of php and those
> > independent.  Where do I place the files in a library package for
> > php4:
> >         /usr/{share|lib}/<package>
> >         /usr/{share|lib}/php<version>/<package>

> No one wanted to comment on this?

Well unlike with perl and python, most of the php extensions that are widely
used are included in PHP -- so they all have the same maintainer.  There may
not be a policy, or at least not a published one; and even if there is,
probably not many people know about it. :)

As with all packages, /usr/lib is used for architecture-specific files (e.g.,
binary php extensions) and /usr/share is for architecture-independent files
(e.g., PHP class files).  You might want to look at the directory structure
for some of the other PHP modules (e.g., php4-mysql, php4-pear) to see what
directories they use.

Regards,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer