Re: How many kernels to assume

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:51:03AM +0100, Martin Albert wrote:

> Uhm, sorry - that question was silly. I haven't made up my mind wide
> enough, it seems.
>
> All that is left on this issue: Is it ok for postinst to output a
> message of minor priority without pause/prompting for a key?

If at all possible, use debconf to display the message at appropriate priority.
(see the tutorial in debconf-doc, and the many example packages)

That way:

- Noninteractive installations will get the message in a log or via mail
- Users who don't care about the notice won't see it at all

If the message only applies to some users, perform a check and only display the
message if it applies.

--
 - mdz