How many kernels to assume

Hello, dear developers!

libggi-target-fbdev.postinst checks /dev for framebuffer entries. If
none are found, it offers to create them. Now i've received the
following:

Package: libggi-target-fbdev
Version: 1:1.99.2.0b3.1-1
Severity: wishlist

When I upgraded the ggi-fbdev target today, it informed me that
I didn't have framebuffer devices and offered to create them.  In fact,
I don't have framebuffer devices because I'm using a devfs-enabled
kernel and don't have framebuffers enabled at the moment, so creating
them is useless (and actually impossible, I /think/).

I think that this question should be skipped if /dev/.devfsd exists, or
at least should be changed to be simply a message.

Well, part one is clear - don't install target-fbdev. But what do you
think about two: this question should be skipped if /dev/.devfsd
 exists.

I was already wondering about a recent discussion, where the _running_
kernel at the time of installation were to be checked to determine
anything. On my systems, various kernels are installed and personally i
wouldn't want a half smart package to add or leave sth. because of the
version of the kernel that appens to be running at install time.

I wouldn't want libggi-target-fbdev to skip the correct installation of
appropriate devices for use eg. by older, non-devfs kernels.

What do you think?

Thanks for your answers in advance, martin