finding version of package being installed in postinst

Hi,

I wonder, is it possible to find out what the last installed version
of a package was from postinst?

What I want to do is this:  a package has released a new upstream
version, and they replaced a good deal of configuration options with
different ones.  It is both impossible to automatically convert the
old options to new ones, and it is very hard to reliably check for the
presence of old options.

So I wondered if I could somehow find out if the user is upgrading
from a version before this upstream version, and issue a message
referring to a document somewhere in /usr/share/doc during postinst.

Is it possible?

thanks.

	Ivo

--