packages with binary 'source' files

I'm trying to package a program (gnubg) that generates a binary file during
compilation.  However this upsets dpkg-buildpackage which can't diff between
the current version and the .orig

Personally I think this is a bug in diff (you should be able to diff binary
files against empty files), but I don't feel like fixing diff right now ;-)

What is the proper way of resolving this? I've currently copied the binaries
into the .orig (diff allows identical binary files) but this is ugly.  Are
there any better ways?

Corrin