Re: how to build a package conditionally?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 08:34:25PM -1000, Brian Russo wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:28:51AM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm maintaining a package (geomview) whose source is free, but parts
> > of it require a non-free library (xforms) to compile.  Currently, the
> > debian source package builds a single package that omits the programs
> > that require xforms.  There is a wishlist bug requesting that a second
> > package be created containing the extra bits.  That seems like a
> > reasonable request.  How do I do it?
>
> last I checked the autobuilders didn't do anything but main,
> so I don't think should be a problem, affirmation anyone?

My understanding of the statement "the autobuilders [don't] do
anything but main" is that they only process source packages that
generate .debs for the "main" distribution.

What I am proposing is a source package that generates *both* a "main"
and a "contrib" .deb.  What would the autobuilder do with that?  In
fact, how would the autobuilder even know that is the case?  The
control file does not record whether a binary goes into main or
contrib.  [I presume that is decided by the ftp maintainers when a new
package is introduced, and then recorded somewhere.  Do the
autobuilders use this information?]

If I set up the "rules" to build both the main and contrib packages
unconditionally, would the autobuilders selectively pick out and build
only the main package?  The Build-depends, in this case, would include
a non-free package; wouldn't this cause extra work to override the
dependency if the autobuilder is only doing main?

-Steve