Re: How do I depend on a specific kernel version?

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:45:42 -0500, Aubin Paul <aubin@punknews.org>
> wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 05:32:48PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> >> I am currently working on a package that provides the framework to
> >> build an IP packet filter based on netfilter / iptables. This needs a
> >> 2.4.x kernel. How do I depend on a kernel-image-2.4.x?
> >
> >It might be simpler to just depend on iptables.
>
> ... which doesn't seem to depend on a 2.4 kernel.

Don't even try to depend on a kernel-image package.  So many people
custom compile their own kernels from scratch, that you can't possibly
require that a particular image be installed.  And even if such an image
is installed, you won't have any way of knowing if that particular image
is actually running or if it's just sitting on disk somewhere.

Do like the lsof-2.0.36 and lsof-2.2 packages do, and put the kernel
revision in the package name, tell people what they need in the
package description, and leave it up to them to satisfy that
dependency.

Eric