Imakefile - run xmkmf first?

Hello list,

I'm trying to make my first .deb package from a small utility named
"xreboot" - just one, single, crisp and clear binary that would not
cause any problems. So I thought.

Unfortunately, the xreboot sources have an Imakefile instead of a
Makefile. Now I don't know enough of imake to know if I should just run
xmkmf -a and edit the Makefile as if it were there already (I guess I
should *not* do that), or how I should persuade the packaging scripts to
run xmkmf for me - or is there another way?

I looked around the net to find information about this (as I think this
is not the first time it comes up) but I couldn't find anything. The New
Maintainers' Guide doesn't say anything about it.

Can anyone help me?

V.