Re: keeping files from one version to the other.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:29:00AM +0100, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

> My problem is : when upgrading the package, the files in /var/lib/crafty are
> overwritten by the original files coming with the new version package. How can
> I preserve these files from being overwritten ? The files are normally
> installed by debian/rules :
>
> [eric@femto:~/debian/crafty-17.13]$ less debian/rules
>
> [...]
>
> install: build
>         dh_testdir
>         dh_testroot
>         dh_clean -k
>         dh_installdirs
>
>         # Add here commands to install the package into debian/tmp.
>         install -d debian/tmp
>         ln -sf ./crafty.6.gz \
>         debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man6/crafty.bin.6.gz
>         install -m2755 -o root -g games crafty debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty.bin
>         install crafty.wrapper debian/tmp/usr/games/crafty
>         install -m664 -o root -g games books.bin debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
>         install -m664 -o root -g games book.{bin,lrn} debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
>         install -m664 -o root -g games position.{bin,lrn}
> debian/tmp/var/lib/crafty
>         install debian/doc/crafty.{faq,doc} debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty
>         install debian/doc/read.me debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/crafty
>         install -m666 debian/crafty.rc debian/tmp/etc

In the current crafty (17.13-3) these files are conffiles (look in
debian/conffiles or debian/crafty.conffiles), which means that they will only
overwrite the existing versions if they have not been modified or the user
requests it.

Cf: debian-policy and packaging-manual

--
 - mdz