Re: Packaging unversioned shared libraries

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 06:51:35PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> I am having a problem when packaging a shared library (libgimpprint from
> CVS). It is normally named libgimpprint-<version>.so e.g. currently
> libgimpprint-4.1.4.so, but I get errors when packaging (see below).
> However, if I change that naming to libgimpprint.so.4.0.0, I do not get
> these lintian errors. Is there any way to package non-versioned shared
> libraries?
>
> Apologies if this is a really dumb question: I am not entirely sure of
> what all of the shlibs fields do, and am using dh_makeshlibs to do it.
> The debianised source and i386 packages are available at:
> <http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~rl117/gimp-print>

You should use an artificial version of 0.0.0 (libtool may already do this for
you), and use a shlibs control file like this:

libgimpprint-4.1.4 0 libgimpprint

By moving the version number into the library name, you are declaring that
libraries of different versions are not binary compatible, and each version
must be packaged separately (i.e. the package must be named
libgimpprint-VERSION).

--
 - mdz