Packaging unversioned shared libraries

I am having a problem when packaging a shared library (libgimpprint from
CVS). It is normally named libgimpprint-<version>.so e.g. currently
libgimpprint-4.1.4.so, but I get errors when packaging (see below).
However, if I change that naming to libgimpprint.so.4.0.0, I do not get
these lintian errors. Is there any way to package non-versioned shared
libraries?

Apologies if this is a really dumb question: I am not entirely sure of
what all of the shlibs fields do, and am using dh_makeshlibs to do it.
The debianised source and i386 packages are available at:
<http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~rl117/gimp-print>

Thanks for any help,
Roger

Lintian output:
E: libgimpprint: shlib-missing-in-control-file libgimpprint-4.1.4 usr/lib/libgimpprint-4.1.4.so
N:
N:   The package contains a shared library, which is not listed in the
N:   shlibs control file. If this is intentional, please contact
N:   lintian-maint@debian.org about this so that this error gets included
N:   in the overrides file for Lintian. (With that, Lintian will ignore
N:   this bug in the future.)
N:
W: libgimpprint: unused-shlib-entry-in-control-file libgimpprint
N:
N:   The shlibs control file contains an entry for a shared library that is
N:   not installed by this package.
N:

debian/libgimpprint/DEBIAN/shlibs:
libgimpprint 4.1.4 libgimpprint