package naming

Are there any docs with guidelines on package naming? I need to package
some dependencies, one of which is the MetaKit portable embedded database
library (http://www.equi4.com/metakit/). The build process gives me
libmk4.so.0.0.0, libmk4tcl.so.0.0.0, and optionally libmk4py.so.0.0.0
(they don't seem to have considered library versioning in their
"portability" or something). The upstream version is 2.0.1. So, what
should I call this package?

Alternatives seem to be:

libmk40
libmk4
libmetakit40
libmetakit4
libmetakit0
libmetakit
metakit0
metakit

or maybe something else?

(of course with a -dev package to go with it, not sure if I want to split
up the tcl and python stuff into their own packages too, since I'm not
particularly interested in this lib, it's just a dependency not in debian
yet...)