Re: Bug #84829: tar.gz doesn't unpack

Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2001, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > I'd blame tar or the MIPS port, but that he reproduced on i386 completely
> > baffles me...
>
> > See http://bugs.debian.org/84829
>
> Well, IMHO, if the md5sums are OK in his side as the bug report states, and
> tar still fails to unpack, he must have somehow managed to install a screwed
> up tar or gzip (or md5sum) in both of his boxes;

That's what I thought, but tar or gzip screwed up the same way on both boxes?

> Either that or md5sum is doing something REALLY stupid (or his mirror has a
> corrupted file that matches the md5sum of the good one -- kinda unprobable).

Extremely improbable.  md5sum is designed to make it effectively impossible, which
is why signatures can be trusted.

> The assumptions above assume that he can unpack and build debs of other
> packages just fine.

He never gave a straight answer on this, but I believe this is the case.

If nobody can duplicate his problem, I'll assume it's a local thing and close.

Thanks,

-Adam P.