Bug #84829: tar.gz doesn't unpack

Greetings,

I received a bizarre bug report a few days ago, saying that the source .tar.gz
for my package doesn't unpack on MIPS, then the guy repeated the problem on
i386.  The md5sums are right, so I have no clue why it isn't working for him.
"apt-get source evolver" works just fine for me on i386 potato, alpha woody
and sid, ARM woody and PPC sid.

I'd blame tar or the MIPS port, but that he reproduced on i386 completely
baffles me...

Here's his error message:

dpkg-source: extracting evolver in evolver-2.14
dpkg-source: failure: tar -xkf - gave error exit status 2
tar: 471 garbage bytes ignored at end of archive

See http://bugs.debian.org/84829

Any ideas?

-Adam P.