Re: How to choose a good first package?

In Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:18:24 -0500 Jimmy cum veritate scripsit :

> Hi. I would like to play around with some program and try to come up
> with a
> .deb for it, in order to learn how to do it. I'd like it to be
> reasonably
> simple, but I'd also like not to be duplicating work that's already been
> done.
> Can someone recommend a good package? I've been scanning freshmeat for
> candidates, and I'm looking through wnpp as well. Any other ideas. Or,
> any
> ideas of what kinds of packages I should be looking for? What
> dependencies
> they should have? Should I start with a GNOME/GTK+ one, or a simple one
> that
> just requires libc?

The easiest to package migth be a GNOME/GTK+ one with a decent configure
script, so package what you want to use, and is not available in Debian.
There are many GNOME/GTK+ packages which are not available in Debian
and look very interesting.

It is most important to take a package that you can be interested upon.
For example, if you are interested in music and sound, you can try
BEAST/BSE etc (go and look up a list of packages available for Linux and
see how much is not packaged for Debian).

Simple ones just requiring the libc (which have not been packaged yet) tend
to be more complex than necessary.

BTW, would it not be interesting to have some daemon which parses the
freshmeat daemon announcement, checks against Debian packages list
and ITPs, and gives out what is not (seemingly) included in Debian ?

regards,
	junichi

--
Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp           Debian: dancer@debian.org