How to choose a good first package?

Hi. I would like to play around with some program and try to come up with a
.deb for it, in order to learn how to do it. I'd like it to be reasonably
simple, but I'd also like not to be duplicating work that's already been done.
Can someone recommend a good package? I've been scanning freshmeat for
candidates, and I'm looking through wnpp as well. Any other ideas. Or, any
ideas of what kinds of packages I should be looking for? What dependencies
they should have? Should I start with a GNOME/GTK+ one, or a simple one that
just requires libc?

Etc. Please write back. I am subscribed to the list, no cc needed.

Thanks in advance.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org