Re: dh_suidregister -> ?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 03:58:24PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> Hmmm, so my use of suidregister/dpkg-statoverride in the jwhois package
> isn't really a correct implementation? I am creating a group when the
> package is installed to own the shared cache it uses, and setgid the binary
> and the cache directory to that group. I also remove the group on
> de-installation.

> if test "$jwhoisoverride" = ""; then
>   dpkg-statoverride --add root jwhois 02755 /usr/bin/jwhois || echo "Failed adding statoverride for /usr/bin/jwhois"
> else
>   echo Statoverride already set for /usr/bin/jwhois
> fi

I think many people have mistaken the "use dpkg_statoverride instead of
suidregister" message. You have only to remove the suidregister stuff
from your package. If the user does not want the setuid/setgid bit set,
THEY will use dpkg_statoverride to remove it. Packages should almost
never call dpkg_statoverride themselves.

--
Taral <taral@taral.net>
Please use PGP/GPG to send me mail.