RE: Getting started

On 02-Feb-2001 William Burrow wrote:
> I have decided to rescue one of the orphaned packages slated for removal
> from Debian.  I wonder if anyone can lend me a hand getting started.
> The New Maintainers' doc and Debian Developers' docs have been helpful,
> but I have more questions.  e.g. Does my gpg key need to be signed (I
> live in the sticks, so to speak, probably not too many Debian developers
> around here), how do I get the 3.0 standards package to do all the things
> the older 2.6.x.x package did, etc.

To upload a package into Debian, you have to go thru the NM queue.  There are
ways to do this without a developer signed key -- but this is more difficult
and time consuming.  If you own a vehicle and are willing to drive 2 or 3
hours, I would be suprised if you could not find a debian developer willing to
do the same.

In the debian policy docs is an upgrade checklist.  Follow that to bring old
packages up-to-date.