Re: ITP bug closing

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 03:10:49AM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva (KoV) wrote:
> > Or 81745-done@bugs.debian.org, with an explanation in the text.
> ok, I did what Martin said, with subjet "already uploaded"...
> I thought it was not the right solution, cause I read it in
> some doc, that one should avoid using the email way of closing
> bugs... thanks =)

Wrong way around.

Best way: in the changelog for the upload.

Right way: nnn-done@bugs.debian.org

Worst way: close nnn to control@bugs.debian.org

Reason: the control@bugs method does not send any explanation to
the bug submitter, only a message saying that the bug was closed.
The subject line does not get sent, so your message won't get though.

The nnn-done@bugs message is included in the text of the message
sent to the submitter, so they get a reason why it is closed.

For the changelog method, dinstall actually sends the upload
announcement to nnn-done@bugs.debian.org IIRC.

Hamish