Re: quality of a package

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 03:21:41PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > > I saw on package.d.o there is a quality percentage for each package.  Would
> > > you tell me how it counts? bug reports + lintian errors?
> >
> > Those numbers have nothing to do with the quality of the
> > package; they refer to the quality of the search result (a
> > score based on your search parameters).  It is calculated by
> > swish++, I do not know how.
>
> Yeah, and they should be fixed or removed! ;-)
>
> Consider that I'm looking for the package `gri' (I'll trim it for
> stable to shorthen the results):
>
>   Debian package search results
>   Release    Quality                     Package (size)
>    stable      100%    gri-ps-doc 2.4.2-1   (610k)
>            PostScript manual for gri, a language for scientific graphics.
>    stable      75%     gri-html-doc 2.4.2-1   (636.3k)
>            HTML manual for gri, a language for scientific graphics.
>    stable      50%     grip 2.91-1   (95.1k)
>            a GTK-based cd-player and cd-ripper.
>    stable      15%     gri 2.4.2-1   (654.2k)
>            a language for scientific graphics programming.
>
> So the perfect match scores dead last!

That's a known problem with swish++, I've reported this like several months
ago, and Jay said you'd have to rewrite it to get it to score exact matches
with 100% :/ I think we should remove the `quality' column alltogether, if
not replace swish++ with something else.

Does anyone object to me making such a change?