Re: Packaging for X/SVGA/Console

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 11:20:11AM -0500, Christopher Allen wrote:
> As part of my new-maintainer process tasks, I'm packaging z81, a
> Sinclair ZX81/ZX80 emulator.  The emulator provides three binaries: a
> X version (xz81), an SVGA version (z81) and a linux-console version
> (z81txt).
[snip policy]
> I've given the z81 package priority 'optional', since this seems to be
> the priority given to other emulator packages (e.g., simh, dosemu);
> I would thus read the above passage as a stricture *against* building
> separate packages for the X and SVGA versions (three in all).  Can
> someone confirm this?  (And/or provide justification?)

This means that when a package produces one binary which can optionally
have X support (like gnuplot), it should have it. In your case (and mine,
lxdoom), separate binaries are produced with differing support; the svgalib
binary is useless to an m68k user, for example, so have separate packages,
and make the svgalib package Architecture: i386 only (since that's the
same as svgalibg1).

> Second, the text mode version isn't an ncurses program, but instead
> uses /dev/vcsa0 - which I don't actually have!  I do have /dev/vcsa
> and /dev/vcsa1-63, but no 0.  According to the z81 documentation,
> these devices "linux virtual consoles" (but are somehow different from
> /dev/ttyN ??), but I don't seem to have a man page.
>
> Should I point the console version at /dev/vcsa instead?  Help!

This I can't help much on, except to say that my devfs system does not
have a vcsa0, either. vcsa sounds right.