use debconf directly from init.d?

   Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:58:11 -0800
   From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>

   Chris Hanson wrote:
   > Any reason not to do this?

   Debconf is Not a Registry (TM)

That doesn't sound like a reason; it sounds more like an axiom.  Care
to explain why it's a reasonable axiom?  (Offline, if you prefer.)

I don't know the design decisions that went into debconf, but what I
am suggesting looks consistent with the design document in
"/usr/share/doc/debconf/specification.txt.gz".  In that document,
debconf looks very much like a database, and it seems strange that I
should need to replicate the contents of the database in another
database (if a flat file can be called that) before I use it.