Re: When is DAM approval supposed to happen?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:

> What bothers me most about the delays in the NM queue are their
> capriciousness.  I got through the process relatively quickly (about three
> months or so, a fair time), but others have no such luck.  And it is luck,
> not [always] lack trying on their part.
>
> The initial part of the process is fair.  People queue up in cronological
> order and have their applications selected by one of a pool of possible
> application managers.  AM's should adjust the number of open cases they're
> handling to fit their available free time.  If an AM becomes unable to
> process an applicant within a reasonable reasonable response time (say
> two weeks of overhead beyond delays the fault of the applicant) then the
> applicant should be returned to the AM queue.  It's not right that one AM

Why is it a problem if an applicant isn't processed within two weeks? What
do you want to do if the applicant is simply not skilled enough for
becoming a DD? Should he get a new AM every two weeks until even the worst
applicant finds an AM that accepts him?

> should hold up one applicant while others who applied months later are
> getting through.  As far as I know, there's no mechanism for an applicant
> to be returned to the queue.

This can be done by members of the NM-Committee (at least by the Front
Desk members).

> > You don't need to be a maintainer in order to help Debian.
> Don't underestimate the importance of being an official developer.
> It's true that you can get packages sponsered and "help Debian" without
> it, but it can have a large effect on morale.  Being an official DD, gives

To be more precise: You can do nearly all work you want to do without
being an official DD.

> me a stronger tie to the project.  It affects the way *I feel* about the
> work that I do.  To me, that's more important than an account or an
> email address.

Yes, it's a good feeling to have a Debian account. But if it really harms
the work you do for Debian if it takes a bit longer until you get your
account you should really rethink how important Debian is for you.

> Eric

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi