Re: NMU and ./configure

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> wrote:
>On 20000927T182035+0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>> configuration system should probably be patched so that you can. Anybody
>> should be able to install all the build-dependencies, build the package,
>> and get the same result as before (assuming they have the same version
>> of all the build-dependencies as the maintainer).
>
>No.
>
>Anybody should be able to build a package when its build-time dependencies
>are satisfied and end up with the same result as anyone else.  This is
>a policy recommendation.  If this is not true, it's a bug.

I couldn't see it in policy, which was why I weakened my original
statement. I was going to leave out the version clause, except I thought
that it probably wasn't true: for instance, building a package with the
slink version of debhelper will produce a package with documentation in
/usr/doc, whereas building a package with the potato version of
debhelper will produce a package with documentation in /usr/share/doc
and the /usr/doc symlink.