Re: How to sponsor someone and upload a sponsored package?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:37:55PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just try to sponsor Michael Piefel, who is in the NM
> process.  He build successfully the package kimwitu++ and I
> uploaded the package, but it disappeared somehow.  I think I
> missed something important :-)
>
> Is there a page on www.debian.org that tells me what I have
> to do to sponsor Michael and upload his package so that it
> goes into unstable?  Thanks for any hint!

I'm not sure if there is a page yet
but the steps are really simple,
1> retrieve source, dsc and diff.gz from sponsoree
2> build in a standard environment
3> Audit code as you would your own package
4> sign changes and dsc as youreself
   (alternatively use dpkg-buildpackage -m"Your@Address")
5> Remind yourself that you are responsible for anything that happens with
   this package
6> Rememer again that you are the one who will be blamed if it has rm -fr /
   in the postinst
7> Upload
8> Optionally tell your sponsoree when it is installed

You can also alternatively add an entry to the changelog instead of
using the -m option to dpkg-buildpackage

Frank aka Myth