Re: Plugins: proper way to change ld.so search path for a single binary

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Arthur Korn wrote:

> > An absolute path passed to dlopen() will work and cause the least
> > security problems ([...]).

> Couldn't I just use -rpath for the same effect?

You could, but...

> AFAIK the -rpath is searched before any other locations for the libs,
> and since everything is lost anyway if somebody can manipulate the
> /lib/msyslog/ directory, it doesn't matter that ld.so theoretically
> would continue to search for the modules in the other places.

... if a module is listed in the config that is not present in
/lib/msyslog, then it would still be searched for. Things like this can
happen e.g. with package upgrades (if modules are split into a separate
file).

> BTW: I'd really like to know _why_ lintian considers rpath to be
> 'generally a bad thing'.

No idea, as...

> > ldconfig is an anachronism (from the a.out days) that should die with the
> > last a.out executable.

> Oh, well, and how will you tell ld.so where to search for lib's
> and make that symlinks without /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig?

... -rpath is the correct way for ELF. For anyone who is interested, see
the NetBSD ELF FAQ at http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html .

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1