Re: becoming a maintainer q. + ITP: biew

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 02:26:01PM +0200, Stefan Alfredsson wrote:
> > > Since debian/copyright is derived from the original copyright file,
> > >  should the first error be fixed with the upstream?
> >
> > Presuming this is GPL or such, you can change the text saying where the
> > user can get the license. Actually, it's preferred that you change it not
> > to point to the COPYING file, but to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL file,
> > which exists on all Debian systems.
>
> Yes, it's GPL. So, instead of cut'n'pasting it into debian/copyright, I could
> refer to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL instead?

Yep. You can use something like this:

Copyright (C) 2000  author

  This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
  the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
  Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
  version.

  This is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
  ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License
  for more details.

  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License with
  your Debian system, in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL, or with the source
  package as the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.