Re: non-maintainerpackages not good?

Hi.

  at Mon, 1 May 2000 22:09:23 +0200 (MET DST),
 Andreas Palsson <did@algonet.se> writes:

> There is a program called 'xyz' and it is already packaged and maintained,
> and then I also make a package of the same program but a more current
> version.
> I do not upload it to Debian, but I make it available to download for my
> friends and those who wants it.

Have you already file a wishlist report on that package ?
The procedures are written in http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
I think most (or all) of Debian developers tries to one's best,
but there may be sometimes reasons for not being active to instantly
upload the new upstream version.

> Is this a Bad Idea?
>
> of course I include a note that "this package is not part of the Debian
> distribution and not created byt the orginal maintainer blahblah use at
> own risk blah blah..."...

The official Debian packages are Free Software, and you can do anything
under the license of each software which is DFSG compatible.

But if you think that your package is useful for many users, then
much more users will be happy to download it from Debian ftp site
which is mirrored on all over the world, I think.

Can you contact the maintainer and talk to him to update his package ?
If you have done this already before asking here, then please execuse me.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>