Re: non-maintainerpackages not good?

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:14:44PM +0200, Christian Surchi wrote:
> > There is a program called 'xyz' and it is already packaged and maintained,
> > and then I also make a package of the same program but a more current
> > version.
> > I do not upload it to Debian, but I make it available to download for my
> > friends and those who wants it.
> >
> > Is this a Bad Idea?
>
> What about contacting xyz's maintainer? :o

One thing I have done, and I don't know if it's "OK" or not, is with
everybuddy.  The "release" of the program occurs once in a blue moon,
but the CVS version is very active.  So, I set up a script to pull
down the CVS version and package it up.  I named the package "ebsnap"
instead of everybuddy, and made it conflict with everybuddy.  In
hindsight, "everybuddy-cvs" would have been a better name.

If you really are updating the package...send a copy to the
maintainer.  And if it's only intended for you and a few
friends...don't worry too much about it.

--
-- michael d. ivey, chief thinker  --- <ivey@gweezlebur.com> -----------
------ gweezle bur poetry manufacturing  <http://gweezlebur.com> -------