Source will NOT be uploaded?

Okay... I guess I'm too tired to see something that must obviously be
right in front of me. In an empty directory, I download blah-1.1.tar.gz.
I untar it resulting in blah-1.1 subdirectory. I run dh_make within
blah-1.1 which creates the debian subdir and a blah-1.1.orig at the
same level as blah-1.1. After modify things within blah-1.1, I run
dpkg-buildpackage which results in:

blah-1.1 (build directory)
blah-1.1.tar.gz (from original download)
blah_1.1-1.diff.gz
blah_1.1-1.dsc
blah_1.1-1_i386.changes
blah_1.1-1_i386.deb
blah-1.1.orig.tar.gz

and the message...

dpkg-buildpackage: diff-only upload (original source NOT included)

Lintian does not produce any warnings or messages. What did I miss?

Thanks,
Rich