setgid in /var/cache

I have a package that needs files under /var/cache to be setgid.  The
files are for Crafty to allow it to "learn" chess as it plays.  Part
of the installation is that I install all that Crafty has learned from
all of its user's across the internet.  Then as Crafty plays locally,
it makes additions to these files under /var/cache.

I have built a Debian package that produces files with the right
ownerships and permissions if I use "--extract" on the package, but
after installation, the ownership is set root.root and permissions
are 644.

Is dpkg preventing my scheme?

Thanks
Paul Serice