Re: ITP: water -- A graphical water effect demo.

on Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 06:31:12PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org) wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 04:36:31PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > > OK, so call it water-demo or waterdemo or something along those lines.
> > > I looked through the output of 'dpkg -l' on one of my systems and
> > > saw very few packages with plain English names.
> >
> > And this is significant because ... ?
>
> Because it demonstrates that most people thing plain English
> names are too generic and therefore not suitable for package names.

Count me in.

Try doing a Google search trying to identify issues with that
oh-so-distinctively named MSFT blasphemy called, um, "Word".  Minor
variants -- WordPerfect, AbiWord, WordStar, fare much better.  Note that
some other MS products -- Excel and PowerPoint come to mind -- don't
suffer this problem.  OTOH, "Office", "Project", "Money", "Windows" do.

Distinctive, descriptive software and package names strongly preferred.
"water" IMVAO is far too generic.