Re: Internal compiler error

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 01:15:35AM +0500, James Leigh wrote:

> I am using debian woody with kernel 2.2.17.
> I do have bin86 installed and these other programs too:
> gcc            2.95.2-20
> make           3.79.1-1
> bin86          0.15.3-1
> binutils       2.10.1.0.2-1
> bzip2          1.0.1-2
> fileutils      4.0.32-1
> libncurses5-dev 5.0-8
> kernel-source-2.2.17        2.2.17-1

First of all, i believe you should compile 2.2.17 with gcc version 2.7.2

you can install it from the package called "gcc272".

IIRC, the 2.4 series has moved to using gcc 2.95, but 2.2 still needs gcc
2.7.2

I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem or something.  try running some
RAM tests...perhaps the RAM is bad.  Are you overclocking this machine?

When i used to overclock some machines, compiling the kernel was one of the
tests that usually indicated whether it was successful or not.  Sometimes a
machine would boot into linux just fine, but when i tried to compile the
kernel i'd get a whole slew of errors....the errors would stop happening once
i clocked it down though.

    Pete Lypkie                   Encrypted email preferred
    pete@linux-geek.net           -------------------------
    plypkie@debian.org            see http://www.gnupg.org/