RE: jove Package - what to do?

On 09-Dec-2000 Cord Beermann wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've built a new jove-package, that now matches the current standards,
> i also added some debhelper functions, a beginners menu, activated the
> recovery-function, and fixed the Bug that stops it from working on the
> Hurd.
>
> The current maintainer (Loic Prylli) doesn't respond and hasn't
> touched the package since 11 Nov 1998 (see also mailx), but the
> package isn't orphaned, or given for adoption...
>
> i would like to take this package over. I've already applied as New
> Maintainer.
>
> so how should i proceed?

find someone who will sponsor your upload, just as if it was a new package.
This person should be aware of the fact that the current maintainer is not
reachable.  Then, you upload a few times as "Non Maintainer Uploads" (see
policy).  Each time mailing the maintainer when you upload.  if you still hear
nothing, you can fairly safely take the package over.

One thing you can do is ask your sponsor to check when that person was last
seen.