Re: orig.tar.gz

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 11:33:05PM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > Should I be filling a wishlist bug against lintian, or is it ok (although
> > not optimal) to have .orig.tar.gz files unpacking at foo-1.2.3 instead of
> > foo-1.2.3.orig ?
>
> The tools give warnings, but it really doesn't matter. Quite a lot

I didn't receive warnings from any tools (otherwise it wouldn't have taken
months for me to notice the problem).

> of my packages have .orig.tar.gz which unpack into directories
> with no version number at all, and sometimes even a different name.
> eg geda-gschem unpacks just as 'gschem/'.

I thought that would be the case (many .origs not unpacking to
foo-1.2.3.orig).

However, I don't think we should leave things as is. If it is indeed OK to
have orig.tar.gz unpacking anywhere (as long as the unpack is at least one
level deep), the packaging manual text should be changed to say so.
Misinformation won't take us very far...

If it is NOT ok (even if it will not break dpkg-source) for .orig.tar.gz to
unpack anywhere but to foo-1.2.3.orig, then lintian should add at least a
warning about the problem.

I'm crossposting to -devel, to take the discussion there.

  Henrique Holschuh