Re: creating a debian package that doesn't require compiling...

MoiN

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 03:39:01PM +1100, Jeremy Higgs wrote:
> ok, I have modified the postinst.debhelper script and renamed it
> (saved it as) postinst in the debian directory. I then created the
> deb package.

Please don't do that. The postinst.debhelper script is generated
by debhelper automatically, so you don't need to include it in
the source package. You even _should_ not do that, because the
commands debhelper puts there might change and break your
package in some time in the future.

> Is there a way I can install the deb package, but test it and see
> that everything works??

If you don't want to install the package you can examine its
contents using ar x package.deb. Or on a higher level you can use
mc's (and probably nautilus') virtual filesystem. Just press
select the package in mc and press enter. You should see the
packages contents. But to test the scripts included in the
package you probably have to install it.

    Ingo
--
"Open Source" programs mean software for which the source code is available
without confidential or trade secret restrictions and for which the source code