Re: creating a debian package that doesn't require compiling...

ok...

I've had a look at the man pages for update-rc.d and dh_installinit, and I *think* I've got the init.d script working (it appears in debian/rcf/etc/init.d/firewall, anyway, and contains what I put into the init.d file in the debian dir.)

this is my rules file now:

debian:~/rcf-5.0.1/rcf-5.0.1# less debian/rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f
# This is the debhelper compatability version to use.
export DH_COMPAT=2

build:

# nothing to do here

clean:
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean

install: build
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean -k
        dh_installdirs

        install rc.firewall debian/rcf/etc/
        tar xf firewall-modules.tar -C debian/rcf/etc/

# Build architecture-independent files here.
binary-indep: build install

        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_installdocs
        dh_installinit --init-script=firewall
        dh_installchangelogs
        dh_installmanpages
        dh_installinfo
        dh_compress
        dh_fixperms
        dh_installdeb
        dh_gencontrol
        dh_md5sums
        dh_builddeb

binary-arch:

binary: binary-indep binary-arch
.PHONY: build clean install binary-indep binary-arch binary

        update-rc.d firewall defaults

---

the man page for update-rc.d didn't say WHERE to execute update-rc.d, so I put it at the end.

however, no files are created in debian/rcf/etc/rc3.d , for instance. my debian/dirs file looks like this:

debian:~/rcf-5.0.1/rcf-5.0.1# less debian/dirs
etc
etc/firewall-modules
etc/init.d
etc/rc0.d
etc/rc1.d
etc/rc2.d
etc/rc3.d
etc/rc3.d
etc/rc4.d
etc/rc5.d
etc/rc5.d

---

I tried experimenting so I wouldn't have to do etc/rc0.d, etc/rc1.d, etc. but it didn't work! am I missing something?

thanks