GPG key expiring ??

I'm a bit confused about the state of my GPG key.
When I created it almost a year ago (when I was using GPG as a curiosity,
before I became a maintainer), I figured I should put a time limit on it,
and gave it a year.

Realising I was going to keep the key, I recently used gpg --edit-key to
change the expiry setting, and I changed it to "never expires".

However, when I now list the key, I get a mixed result:

pub  1024D/64124E4A  created: 1999-11-19 expires: never      trust: -/u
sub  2048g/E8ABABE9  created: 1999-11-19 expires: 2000-11-18

So I correctly changed the expiry date for 64124E4A, which I gather is the
public key, but E8ABABE9 retains the old expiry date!

Have I missed something important, or am I completely stuffed?   Why did the
"expire" command in --edit-key change one of the keys, but not the other?
What exactly is "sub" ??  It's not the secret key - I checked that using the
"toggle" command, and the secret key listings (sec and ssb) are both set to
"expires: never".   What should I make of "sub"s incalcitrance ?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A