Re: Installing files in /etc

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> > > The problem with this method is that when a non-debian user
> > > downloads the
> > > source and does ./configure && make install, their config
> > > files end up in
> > > /usr/etc by default which is not where they belong. The
> > > debian directory is
> > > going to be part of the upstream source archive, so I can't
> > > interfer with
> > > normal installation.
> >
> > I just put the debian directory in the ICU upstream sources, and did just
> > that (except that I use DESTDIR, I have no po/ dir). Since the debian
> > packages are built using debian/rules, there is absolutely nothing
> > preventing you to configure with --sysconfdir=/etc in debian/rules. People
> > building outside of Debian will not use debian/rules, so you won't
> > interfere.
>
> But by changing the Makefile.in to use ${sysconfdir} I do indeed interfere.
> This makes the config files install to /usr/etc. Right now the Makefile.in
> explicitly installs to /etc b/c configure has no variable that defaults to
> it.

I say: submit the changes to upstream.

In my opinion, sticking things into /etc without allowing the installer to
easily override is *rude*.  Consider the case of a NONroot user
configuring with --prefix=$HOME ... make ... make install
... BOOM.  Installer: @#$@#$ package!!

If you change the Makefile.in to use $sysconfdir, then the installer now
has the easy option of either specifying --sysconfdir=/etc, or do nothing
and let it be installed in $prefix/etc.

That's my opinion, and worth what you paid for it,
-Steve